Hearing Resumes Tomorrow
29 July 2002
Spy Planes Kept in the Dark ~ Cameron Stewart (Aus)
- AUSTRALIA'S P3 Orion spy planes were unaware the asylum-seeker boat Siev X might be unseaworthy before it capsised, drowning 353 people. Evidence to be presented by the RAAF to a Senate committee tomorrow will seek to defend the performance of its spy planes, which flew over the area where Siev X sank last October 19...
Hill Faces Battle In Boat Inquiry ~ Kirsten Lawson (Canberra Times)
- The Senate may be in for a stoush with the Government over Defence Minister Robert Hill's refusal to allow a key witness to give evidence at the children-overboard inquiry.
Senator Hill has blocked Rear Admiral Raydon Gates from giving evidence, despite eight separate requests from the committee, and chairman Peter Cook accused him yesterday of obstructing the committee's work...
Whistle-blower Joins Rudd ~ Kirsten Lawson (Canberra Times)
- The man whose questions sparked the SIEV X inquiry into the drowning at sea of 353 asylum-seekers, Tony Kevin, has become foreign policy adviser to the Opposition.
Mr Kevin joined the staff of Labor foreign policy spokesman Kevin Rudd last week, initially on a temporary appointment.
Mr Kevin, 59, persuaded the children-overboard inquiry to investigate the SIEV X sinking this year after raising doubts about the Government's version of events...
Other SIEVX news:
- A new section is currently being added to the site: an index of the CMI Inquiry transcript. This will be a very useful research tool as it includes links to the testimony of each witness as well as links to testimony regarding SIEVX.
- SIEVX Forum ~ various messages